Catastrophic events result in extraordinary expenses and property losses for everyone involved, including governments, public authorities, utilities, emergency responders and property owners. When disaster strikes, organizations and institutions across America discover they need more than basic knowledge of the rules that govern grant and insurance programs administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
Baker Donelson’s Disaster Recovery Team provides legal and regulatory advice, training and consulting services in the areas of disaster preparedness and recovery. As a leading provider of legal advice and services to organizations and agencies interacting directly with FEMA, we are the source to which governments, non-profits and private entities turn when they need help navigating the regulatory maze.
What We Do
Our attorneys work with local governments, government agencies and authorities, non-profits and infrastructure providers like hospitals and utilities, as well as with private businesses. We also consult with states, municipalities and developers to offer counsel in matters involving national flood insurance program requirements, including floodplain management and insurance issues. We are proactive in our approach, helping clients take steps before a disaster strikes to ensure future access to funding and emergency recovery assistance.
Much of our work involves helping clients obtain the compensation they need and are entitled to under FEMA’s Public Assistance Grant Program. To those who do not work with them on a regular basis, FEMA grant procedures and regulations can seem extremely complex and confusing. Baker Donelson’s Disaster Recovery Team can help simplify the path and guide the way through it. In addition, there can be a high turnover rate in FEMA employees stationed in a particular area, particularly after very large disasters, and our participation in the process helps to ensure continuity and a consistent application of FEMA rules and regulations among different representatives. Should FEMA conduct an audit, we assist grant recipients during the audit itself and can handle any necessary appeals.
When a client’s unique situation calls for additional resources, we bring to the table the legal knowledge and experience of more than 650 attorneys representing some 30+ areas of legal practice. We also work closely with in-house counsel and attorneys retained by our clients on specific projects.
Timely, Efficient and Cost-Effective
Our extensive experience and knowledge concerning FEMA-related regulations, disaster insurance coverage and other matters enables us to quickly identify the key issues in a particular problem facing a client. We then work to resolve that problem in an efficient, timely and cost-effective manner.
Baker Donelson’s Disaster Recovery Team is dedicated to enabling your organization to recover from a disaster as quickly and painlessly as possible.
Baker Donelson’s Disaster Recovery Team Areas of Focus
- FEMA Public Assistance Program
- National Flood Insurance Program
- Floodplain Management Issues
- Public Health Emergency Law
- Education & Training Services
- FEMA Audits & Appeals
- Assisting Utilities in Dealing with FEMA
- Representing Contractors in FEMA Disputes
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Program
- Sandy Recovery Improvement Act
- Disaster Housing Programs/CDBG
Client Groups That Will Benefit From Our Services
- Government entities, public authorities and such non-profit organizations as utilities, hospitals and educational institutions that are eligible for FEMA assistance programs
- Vendors providing services funded directly or indirectly by FEMA programs
- Insurance companies participating in FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program through the Write-Your-Own Arrangement
- Associations representing companies and institutions that are eligible for assistance under FEMA programs and are affected by FEMA’s regulatory and legislative initiatives
- Law firms and other service providers requiring specialized legal and regulatory advice on FEMA regulations and disaster law